Australia is known for its beautiful scenery, ranging from breath taking ocean views to magnificent mountain tops. The Blu Mountains in New South Wales, Australia happen to be one of those mountain tops.
The Blue Mountains (far away shot)
These mountains are formed from layers and layers of sedimentary rocks. The sedimentary layers that are deposited are called strata. Through the hardening of strata lithification begins. When these sedimentary rocks first start out, they are loosely arranged rocks that gradually compact together. After the compaction of these rocks they cement together to form hard layers; the process of lithification.
The Blu Mountains (up close view of the layers of strata)
Through the processes of lithification, strata, folding and erosion beautiful mountains are formed like The Blue Mountains in Australia.



Hi Chelsea,
ReplyDeleteI absolutely loved reading your blog! I went to Australia a year ago and we decided not to go for the day to Blu Mountains and we have since regretted not taking a day to tour around.
Your blog is very insightful about the mountains and how they have formed. Your use of vocabulary and the way you explained the form and process of each section was very easy to follow and you took what Professor Allen taught in class more in depth. I also wanted to elaborate on how detailed the overall blog was, the section on the rocks and how the layers eventually lead to the process of lithification was very precise and easy to follow. Overall I enjoyed how well the blog was written, how much information was in it along with how easy it was to follow, I found it to be very educational!
-Laci Foral
The processes was very clear to me, it was easy to understand the steps of how the mountains were being form. Except, I feel like you could have described the forms and texture of the mountains more, like how the limestones get its color, what type of limestone was created by the processes, clarify how it raise to its height, and the depth of the mountains? I feel like you could have expanded more with other process mentioned in class than sedimentary rocks. Other than that everything was very short, simple, and easy to read.
ReplyDeleteGeo 1202 Vy Lam
I like that you picked Australia I'd love to go there. But scared to because I've heard some scary stories. Your explanation of how the mountains were formed was really good and I can't wait to see and learn about landscapes in Australia.
ReplyDelete